Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Moving Weekend



Hey, You the Wrap City Crew....

can you tell which twin has the Toni?


So, Saturday, M and I got up early-ish at around 6am.  The weather was absolutely perfect on Saturday as everyone else on in mid-Atlantic region can attest.  Ate b-fast, continued to pack until 8:30am, when we left to pick up our reserved 16ft van from local Public Storage outfit.  We got there and there were several folks in front of us, and a very scattered woman behind the counter that was getting more flustered by the minute.  At one point after we'd been standing in line for about 10 or more minutes, she asked M "How did you reserve your truck?". M said on the internet, she asked "Did you call me about it?".  M consulted the printout and said that the instructions were to call if there was a cancellation or a change, to which she replied, "No, you should always call me first, or  you may not have a truck".  Both our hearts fell at that point, but we kept it together, and eventually had a truck.  Whew.  I don't like to think what would have happened if we were unable to get one.  I think the Storage lady was overwhelmed at the crowd in front of her, but it made for a tense morning.  

I drove the van, if the army was good for something it was good for teaching me (against my will) how to drive big-a$$ vehicles (winks at Monique).   I parked it in our drive and M and I started packing smaller items in the van.  At about 10:30am, our friends, Bugs and Raj arrived and started helping.  The monster music storage unit was the first thing we attacked, in the picture above, that's me and Raj wrapping the a unit in this industrial strength saran wrap that movers use.  It really comes in handy for moving things with drawers, cushions or loose items.  These things weighed a friggin' ton, but the four of us were able to manuver them out the front door, and up the ramp into the truck...it was most unsightly, and there were lots of curses and scary noises.   M and I were afraid that we were in the process of losing 2 really great friends!  That was the worst part tho, and everything else went well.

I drove with Bugsy over to the storage place, M and Raj followed.  The Public Storage facility at 7 Corners was experiencing a LOT of activity.  Saturday must be MOVE DAY!  There were 5 groups including us, all vying for moving carts.  There was a group of hispanic men who were loading an impressive array of top-shelf audio/concert equipment into what must have been a HUGE space given the size of their equipment, I asked one of the about their stuff and he said it was for a band.  It took us about 1 hour to load everything in the unit.  

Me and Bugs took the truck back, we didnt' need to refill it because we'd only driven it 7 miles.  We took Bugs and Raj to Dogshead Fish at 7 Corners, and we had beers and food.  We had a great time.  

Bugs and Raj were absolutely invaluable, and we don't know what we would have done if we hadn't had their help.  Thanks Guys.

M and I went home and rested.  We really didn't do much for the rest of the night.  We were kinda wiped.  

SUNDAY

I was really becoming overwhelmed at the things that still needed to be done.  Usually, if we had that much to prepare for, we would have bagged going to church...the Creator would definitely understand.  Last Sunday was a big one tho, so we couldn't.  It was a Music Sunday, where people share music, poetry and what have you with  the congregation.  M had a hand in putting it together along with SuzanneM.  Also, friends of ours The Jeskes' were christening their baby daughter, Kera, and had named M and I as godparents.  So we HAD to be there for that.  The service was really great, but I couldn't enjoy it as much  as I wanted because my mind kept drifting to what was left to do.

We had to move the rest of the kitchen out, and there was a fair amount left of odds-n-ends.  We also wanted to save a boatload of brick pavers that were next to the deck.  I also had to set up our kitchen in the garage.   Wait till you see it.

Ok. So we finally got home, fed and out the door to do these things at about 12:30pm.  

Here's me pulling up the last paver:


Here I am at the end of our chore.  We carted the bricks in the wheelbarrow to the back of our property and will use them in other projects after all this is over.


M had to leave for a class he's taking at 3:40pm or so, so I set about putting our camp kitchen.  Here's the results:


The Refridgerator is now on the right side next to the Microwave, they moved it over there on Monday morning.   And below, in the camp kitchen we found a Campy Cook!  Ba dum dump.


Next up,

The last look at the old space.

l8r,
cc


3 comments:

  1. You look like Sissy McSissyton in that photo with the brick pavers. The look on your face is priceless!

    I'm impressed with your camp kitchen in the garage! OMG, this is so exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were wiped out too! I think the beers at lunch helped. I wasn't as stiff and sore as I thought I would be!

    I was a bit concerned that R would want to run out and buy one of those tubes of saran wrap! He didn't.

    Looks like you are ready with Camp Kitchen! Just remember the newer kitchen you'll be getting!

    I'm glad it was a nice day for the move! It could've been so much worse in rain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were blessed by the weather and blessed to have you guys helping us.

    ReplyDelete