Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Day 1

First I want to show you the cleard space, because you and I will never see it again, and it was such a pain in the rubber parts to clear and store everything...


This is the empty dining room, we never replaced that ugly foyer-style light which was originally in the kitchen (?!?),  I moved it when we moved in and replaced it with a cheap overhead light and moved it in the dining room...we were going to replace it with something we liked better, but we never got around to it.  Oh well, it's gone now.  


By the way our friend in DE, Markles, reminded me to tell you that we are donating the window you see below, the back door and the kitchen window to Habitat for Humanity, so it's those at least are not ending up in a landfill.  Also our Kitchen cabinets are being reinstalled in the laundry room of the Jeskes'.  They are the parents of little Kera, that named us as god-parents.
Dining Room, the cobwebs were behind a storage rack I used for Kitchen overflow.

Nuttin' in this closet, heh.

Living room
Kitchen, the hole was where the Microwave was, it's in the garage now in our Camp Kitchen.
Kitchen, my crappy cooktop that I was able to do quite a lot on, if I do say so.   That's part the other window being donated, on the right.
Kitchen, may I just say how impractical I think clear glass cabinetry is...as my friend Markles has said in the past, "I don't want to look at my mis-matched tupperware and jelly jars every day!!!".  Well it's gone now, and on its way to the Jeskes laundry room.  Buh-bye.
Laundry room, M sez, "This sink must GOOOO!"  It was replaced with a more practical tub sink, on DAY 1.  I'll post a pic later.

The basic crew is Alan the Commonwealth production manager, Steve the project manager, and Dave the carpenter.  They arrived at about 6:50 am Monday morning.  As people in the DC area know, it rained all day on Monday, such as maybe, but these guys were able to get quite a lot done.  Below is/ was the room of the screened porch.
Old Kitchen, This was were those offensive glass cabinets were...did someone paint the kitchen pink at some point?? ewww  That's the wall oven on the floor, they are using it as a flat surface to set plans and things on for now.
From the kitchen looking into the old dining room.
From the den looking into the old kitchen.  I haven't posted a picture of our new living quarters, but we just got it together last night, so I'll do that tomorrow.
Whats left of the deck, the rest will go today.
Well, that's it for day 1.  

I cooked my first meal in the Camp Kitchen, I grilled a bunch of chicken breasts that I will use for lunch meats and a Seinfeldian "Big salad" this week.  I also grilled some asparagus and made a Zatarain's yellow rice mix.  M and I celebrated the start of the project with a bottle of Spanish Cava.  It was a nice evening.  

S'all for now,

l8r,
CC

2 comments:

  1. Great photos! Sounds like you've got a good crew there! They figure out what they can do indoors if its raining outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THey are Super nice guys, and seem to be completely at ease with us, if you know what I mean. Alan wanted to start digging the foundation this week but it was too wet, so now he's waiting until after the weekend. It's supposed to be dry and warm all weekend so hopefully it will be ok. Fingers x-ed.

    ReplyDelete