Saturday, June 20, 2009

Max Headroom...a note to me Mum

This is for mom...who's concern about headspace in the kitchen with Susan Peirce's dropped-ceiling. I am about 6' 4", in this picture I have flipflops on that are about an inch thick. As you can see in the pic below, I have a little less than a foot of headspace between the top of my dome and the cove.
Here's how it shapes up in the middle of the Cove, which has an 8 ft. clearance. I am touching the ceiling here, but I could before anyway. Oops, I am flashing mid-riff! Zexxy, no?
Here's how it looks on the other side of the cove. Again, a little less than a foot of headspace. This will be fine for 99.999% of the human race...the rest can just duck. The cove extends 26" at its deepest into the new space. The longest point is about where the far left lighting recepticle is. That's where the first pendant will be, the larger hole above my head will be a recessed light.
So, don't worry, Mom, there's plenty or room.
S'all for now,
CC




5 comments:

  1. We could just cut you off at the knees. That would solve lots of problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just don't jump up! Otherwise, you're right. It'll be just right. You get the Frank Lloyd Wright feel of expansion and contraction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What was the inspiration for the cove?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that it's what Bugsy said, Susan designed it for a sense of Wright-ian compression and release. The entryway and dining room are a standard 8ft heighth, the kitchen, hallway and powder room will be the lowered 7'3", the kitchen cove adds heighth to the kitchen and makes if feel separate from the other 2 rooms. The new space will be 11 feet at the top and go down to a height of 8 feet at the window walls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. A. Nonymous, go spew your Hater-ade somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete